Monday, March 13, 2017

Star Student Assignment

Starting this week, students will take turns being the star student for the day.  A star student is an expert about a topic of their choosing and they will have 5 to 10 minutes to tell the class all about their topic.

Topics can include: a vacation spot, a city, a country, a beach or any other place your child has been to that they know about.

The purpose of this presentation is to get students speaking freely and comfortable about topic that they know a lot about.  I don't want them to read from a script.  We have been practicing in class for the past week.  To help them prepare, their presentations can be organized into 5 parts:
  1. Introduction:  Ask your audience questions to make them wonder what you will be talking about.  Tell them what you will be talking about.  Say your opinion about how great your place is. 
  2. First reason:   Give a reason why you like it with as many examples as you can.  Maybe tell a fun little story about your topic.  Show how it makes you feel.
  3. Second reason:  Give another reason and more examples about why you like it. Give lots of details. What do others say about this place?
  4. Third reason: Give another reason why you like your topic and provide lots of examples. Compare your topic to other places. Why is yours better?  
  5. Conclusion:  Repeat your main reasons and make a recommendation.  Give a few helpful hints. Give it a rating.
Students can make a simple poster with pictures from the internet to help them remember and stay focused. I have modeled a presentation about Bolivia for the class using a poster and artifact:





1. Do you like hiking?  Do you like to visit ancient temples?  Would you like to walk on water high in the sky? If you said yes, then you would love to visit Bolivia. Bolivia is an awesome country to visit because you can go hiking and you can explore ancient temples.  Let me tell you more about why Bolivia is so awesome!

2. Bolivia is awesome because you can go to La Paz. La Paz is a big city in Bolivia.Over 2 million people live in La Paz.The city is located high up in the Andes Mountains. There is lots to do in La Paz.For example, you can ride the Teleferico up to the top of a mountain to see the city below.Many people live on the side of the mountain and it is very hard to drive up the mountain so taking the Teleferico is fast and easy.When you are at the top you can see the whole city below.La Paz is beautiful especially at night.When I was in La Paz I also went to a park called Moon Valley.I felt like I was walking on the moon because there were no trees or grass… just rocks!It was fun climbing the rocks.I hiked up and down in the park for one hour.I almost slipped and fell but lucky for me my friend caught me!                      

3. Another reason that Bolivia is a fantastic place is that you can go to the Uyuni Salt Flats.   It’s like a big lake but the water is only 1 centimeter deep.  Uyuni Salt Flats is really cool. For example, you can drive and walk on the salt flats and it looks like you are walking and driving on the water.  The salt flats act like a giant mirror so the sky and clouds were reflected onto the water so I felt like I was floating in the clouds.  I think the Uyuni Salt Flats are better than the salt flats in the Atacama Desert in Chile because there is more water and it is much warmer.  I liked walking in the warm, salty water with my bare feet. 

4. Another reason that Bolvia is amazing is that you can explore an ancient city called Tiwanaku.  For example you can climb a pyramid and look at huge statues carved out of stone. I brought a little statue for everyone. These statues are for good luck. Tiwanaku was built over 2000 years ago and scientists think it is the oldest city in the world but no one lives there anymore.  Mr. Boisjoli, the lower school principal of Graded went to Tiwanaku too and he said it was a very interesting place to visit.  He liked learning about the different types of food the Tiwanaku people ate long ago.  For example, they ate a lot of roots and potatoes.

5. Hopefully I have convinced you that Bolivia is a wonderful country to visit because there is so much to do there like visiting La Paz and Uyuni.  When you are older, you should go there because it’s a very interesting and unique place to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment